Documenting who you are. Not just what you look like.

I focus on lifestyle sessions that capture families, couples, and high school seniors. My first love will always be engagements, bridals, and weddings. I've previously spent time photographing in Dallas and Chicago, and currently call the San Francisco Bay Area my home.

September 3, 2010 in Wedding

Laura and Matt have been waiting so patiently for these photos, I’ve used the “we just moved and I’m doing things as fast as I can” excuse what feels like a thousand times by now but Laura responds to each email and Facebook comment with a cheerful attitude and I so appreciate that.

Laura, tonight I was down in the conference center of my apartment building and the internet stopped working while I was attempting to upload these photos and I actually cried. I know you want to see them so bad and I’ve been so excited to get them up for you. I figured out another way to upload everything, and I hope you will love them as much as I do. You both were such a treat to spend the day with!

Vendors
Cake Baker: Bakery by George
Ceremony Venue: LDS Dallas Temple
Reception Venue: The Ballroom at the Dallas Arts Center
Caterer: Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?
Florist: Friend of the family, Patty Coon, who “does flowers for people she loves”.
Bride’s Dress: David’s Bridal
Bridesmaid Dresses: J. Crew Wedding
Groom and Groomsmen Tuxes: Men’s Warehouse

Matt and Laura met at Texas Tech, while walking to their very first football game during freshman year. Matt is a total sweetheart and took Laura back to that very same spot to ask her to marry him!

Look at these flowers! I want a friend like Patty.

Matt, I think this is my favorite groom picture EVER. You look so natural happy (and readers, all credit goes to Matt for this pose, he did it all on his own!)

Funny note: I was on my back taking pictures of the bridal party walking toward me, and as I zoomed out I realized I had gone a bit too far when the tips of my brand new flats started showing up in the frame.

I told Laura and she laughed.

Get Your Guns Up!

One of the many reasons I love this couple…

they scheduled an abundance of bride and groom portrait time. I love spending time with newly married couples who are giddy about their new marital status!

I rented a tilt shift lens for this wedding, and realized I need a LOT more practice. Either that or it just isn’t my thing. But since Matt and Laura gave me lots of portrait time I was able to experiment a little bit.

THAT SHOT!

I know, I know, you can’t see their faces. It’s just that this one is so sharp, the color is so great, and they look absolutely fab. I leaked this one in their teaser because I liked it so much!

We headed over to the reception center where I met up with Lynn of Lynn in Love Photo who shot with me for the reception. I love her company and I know my brides love having her awesome perspective to help round out the wedding day coverage.

On the left is Lynn’s shot, on the right you can see mine. Lynn has some absolutely beautiful bokeh in her shot. The cake topper pictured belonged to Matt’s grandparents, known as Grandma and Papaw Tovar.

Mmmmmm, delicious and beautiful details! The other cake topper you see pictured here was used by Laura’s Grandmother and Granddad Hervey. They also had a beautifully detailed beaded veil on the front entrance table that was worn by Laura’s Grandmom Griffin. These two really went out of their way to entertain their guests and honor their past.

Because they were married in the LDS temple, not all guests were able to attend the ceremony as a special pass called a recommend (members of the LDS church get this through their bishop) is needed to enter into the temple. At the reception they held a short and meaningful ring ceremony, where they exchanged rings and listened to words of wisdom from their ecclesiastical leader.

Some LDS couples choose not to exchange rings during the ceremony in the temple, and wait to do it in front of all of their friends and family later. This is what I did at my wedding as well! It’s wonderful to be able to share that moment with so many you love.

Lynn’s perspective on the left, mine on the right.

After they cut the cake, Matt and Laura did a milk toast! Like me (and I’m guessing most of you) they think that chocolate cake without a glass of milk to wash it down is “pointless”.

The kids waited (somewhat) patiently for the chocolate fountain to open, but the bride and groom were to be the first to have a taste!

Both of these belong to Lynn!

Once the formalities were over it was time for everyone to get down! Guests loved the money dance.

Can you spot the groom buried in there?

I liked this guy. He even got me to dance a little bit :)

The little poser you see on the right did this same pose for me something like 7 different times because I couldn’t get my flash to fire correctly. He didn’t seem to mind busting out with the peace sign for me yet again.

When the dancing began to wind down Lynn grabbed me and said it was time to go up to the roof. WHAT?!?!?! Holy amazing. Lynn deserves all the credit for this shot, it’s hers hers and I like it better than all of mine. I’m going to miss you Lynn!

When it was time to leave, the couple shooed their guests downstairs to collect their rose petals and swayed to one last dance on their wedding day. It was so sweet.

Matt  and Laura,

I’ll never forget my first encounter with Matt when he told me that I’m like a “celebrity”. Ha! I just adore you two so much, and you had such a lovely wedding day. I could tell that you were really trying to create an event that your family and friends would love and enjoy as much as you did. I hope this isn’t the last we see of each other!

Best,

Jenna

What Facebook Friends Think:

comments (31)
  • Leya says:

Hi Jenna,

Just wanted to share some thoughts that I had when I first went through these pictures. First of all your new site takes a long time to load. I am sure you already have, but why dont you go through some of the other photography blogs like Jasmine Starr or Jessica Claire where the ease of the whole site is so very refreshing, and try to design your site based on that general format? A site that does not make you impatient is the coolest- at least that is what I think.
    Your images are sweet Jenna, but I notice one thing. You cut off people s head a lot. I can see how these pictures still represent an idea, but would too many pictures with heads cut off be a good idea on your site? After all people pay more if you can capture every sliver of their emotion, right?

(September 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm)
  • Lee Hervey says:

Wow! These are wonderful pictures! I keep smiling and smiling as I look at them! I can hardly wait to see the rest of them. Thanks, Jenna and Lynn.

(September 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm)
  • Julia says:

I love them! These are fantastic!!! What fun! I wish you had photographed my wedding day!

(September 4, 2010 at 3:13 am)
  • admin says:

Leya-I think you are really driving home why it is SO important for couples to look at a variety of work from the wedding photographer they are considering. I’m definitely not the person to book if shots that cut off all or part of the head are not your thing! I hope that all couples will ask to see full weddings and really consider a photographers portfolio before they book with someone.

And thanks for the tip about my site loading slowly. I did recently switch and although I haven’t noticed a difference it sounds like I need to look into it a bit more. Hopefully it’s just an administrative thing where I need to make a small change and everything will run a bit faster.

(September 4, 2010 at 3:19 am)
  • Tasha says:

What sweet pictures! I LOVE the ones where you were laying on your back taking pics of the bridal party. You look gorgeous, Laura!

(September 4, 2010 at 4:30 am)
  • Rebecca Cooper says:

I love the Pictures! Laura you look so gorgeous and happy! I can just image how special that day was. My favorite shot was the one from the rooftop! (my least favorite was “get your guns up…my only reason is I’m an AGGIE!) but they all look beautiful! Kudos to the photographer (s) wonderful shots that you will treasure forever….and decorate your apartment for the first few years! Congrats again guys!

(September 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm)
  • Laura Elizabeth says:

For the record, the picture of Matt with his head cut off is one of my favorites!!! I love it!! So, I guess it’s all a matter of taste and loving the details that Jenna gets in the shots she takes!

(September 5, 2010 at 3:12 am)
  • Kelly Tovar says:

Terrific pictures Jenna!! I love the variety, and think you have done a wonderful job. I can’t wait to see all of them. That day was an extremely hot day in Texas, but it didn’t seem to slow you down at all. Of course, I am going to love these pictures, because those are my kiddos; however, I think you are off to a great start on a terrific career. I wish you luck.

(September 6, 2010 at 5:05 am)
  • Diane Rogers says:

I am very impressed with the photography and the sweet comments as well. I can tell that you love what you do and enjoy the people you are with – it reflects in the pictures. I felt like i was living it all over again.

(September 6, 2010 at 6:48 am)
  • Lauren K says:

Beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them. I also really love the pictures on the roof top as well as all the different perspectives of you on the dance floor. Congrats again Matt and Laura!

(September 6, 2010 at 8:26 am)
  • Martha rainey says:

Beautiful! Everyone looks so happy! The pictures turned out excellent!

(September 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm)
  • Krish Stella says:

I love the photo with the ferns and the one with Kelsie and Matt’s sister! Thank you for sharing…

(September 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm)
  • Hannah says:

LOVE! They turned out just beautiful — must admit I’m a little jealous! My wedding photos hardly hold up against these! So happy for these two, and glad they have such wonderful images to document there wonderful day!

(September 6, 2010 at 2:17 pm)
  • Marianne says:

What a treasure to have! Jenna, you did a great job catching so many of the little moments that make a wedding day so special. Truly, they were both so happy and you caught so much of that joy! Shooting in that hall was not an easy task and you really mastered it. Not to mention that I thought you were super easy to work with (for the bit that I was there). Beautiful work.

(September 6, 2010 at 2:43 pm)
  • Rachel Taylor says:

These are so gorgeous!! I am so happy for you Laura!

(September 6, 2010 at 4:37 pm)
  • [...] be held at the Dallas Arts Center (I was the one who recommended it to them after photographing Laura and Matt’s reception in August), and I’ve seen pictures of Candice’s dress and it is [...]

(September 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm)
  • Melodee Cooper says:

I really would’ve loved to have been able to attend the wedding, but thanks to all these great pictures, I feel like I got a peek into all the fun and fabulousness. The joy of the day radiates through these images! P.S. Too bad there couldn’t have been at least one Aggie in there to mix up all those “guns up.”

(September 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm)
  • Chrystal says:

These are great! Your pictures have a lot of character to them! I can’t wait to see the rest of them :)

(September 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm)
  • K'Lann says:

The pictures turned out amazing! They all have a lot of personality and really capture the beauty and excitement of the day! :)

(September 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm)
  • Taylor says:

Beautiful pictures!!! They are timeless, classy, and i was not there, but I definitely feel like I was just by looking at the amazing pics. Congrats Laura and Matt!

(September 8, 2010 at 7:05 pm)
  • Marshall says:

These are really great pictures!
    I don’t know if I’d want evidence that I just leave my nice rings sitting all over the place! lol!

(September 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm)
  • Laura says:

Beautiful pictures! Congratulations to a sweet couple!

(September 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm)
  • Alan Curtis says:

Matt and Laura,
    These are great pictures. Congratulations. Keep making each other happy and you’ll be happy too.

(September 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm)
  • Allison Jarrett says:

These are so Beautiful! I love themall! Congratulations Matt and Laura!

(September 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm)
  • Matt Tovar says:

My favorite picture is the one of us in front of the temple! I hope we get that one blown up!

(September 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm)
  • Ravi Tek says:

Congratulations, it looked like a blast! The pics are amazing, Jenna did really good work capturing the most essential memories of your lifetime! Wish I was there :)

(September 10, 2010 at 6:50 pm)
  • Adam Woodard says:

I just wanted to say that I really like the close-up of Matt adjusting his tie. I think it’s really cool and a great photo. Glad you captured his smile. It’s infectious.

(September 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm)
  • Christie Savage says:

I am with Adam on the close-up. It is an absolutely amazing shot. I love it!! Miss seeing that smile Matt. Looks like ya’ll had a beautiful day. Congrats.

(September 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm)
  • Conner says:

Wow, These are nice pics. You guys look great.

(September 11, 2010 at 2:54 am)
  • Jennifer H says:

They are beautiful!!! Can’t wait to see the rest.

(September 15, 2010 at 5:09 am)
  • Debbie C. says:

The wedding was gorgeous, and the pictures are, too! She got some really great shots of family and friends, as well as the personal features of the reception such as the display of the cake topper and wedding veil from the grandmothers

(September 17, 2010 at 11:33 pm)